To use a Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, or Windows Server 2019 virtual machine as an RDS host, you must perform certain steps before you install Horizon Agent in the virtual machine.
When the Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH) role is not present, the Horizon Agent installer prompts you to install Horizon Agent in RDS mode or desktop mode. If RDS mode is selected, the installer will install the RDSH role as well as the Desktop Experience role for the supported operating systems (Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2) and the RDSH role for Windows Server 2016 and later, and prompt you to reboot the system. At this time the installer has not yet installed Horizon Agent. After rebooting the system you must run the installer again to continue installing Horizon Agent in RDS mode.
- HTML Access
- Scanner redirection
- Windows Aero
- Verify that the RDS host is part of the Active Directory domain for the Horizon 7 deployment.
- Familiarize yourself with the steps to install the Desktop Experience feature on supported Windows Server operating systems. See Install Desktop Experience on Windows Server 2008 R2 or Install Desktop Experience on Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016, or 2019
- On Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2016 machines, familiarize yourself with the steps to configure the Windows Firewall service to restart after failures occur. See Configure the Windows Firewall Service to Restart After Failures in the Setting Up Virtual Desktops in Horizon 7 document.
- If the machine has the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package installed, verify that the version of the package is 2005 SP1 or later. If the package version is 2005 or earlier, you can either upgrade or uninstall the package.
- Download the Horizon Agent installer file from the VMware product page at http://www.vmware.com/go/downloadview.
- Log in as an administrator.
- To start the Horizon Agent installation program, double-click the installer file.
The installer filename is VMware-Horizon-Agent-x86-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe, where y.y.y is the version number and xxxxxx is the build number.
- Accept the VMware license terms.
- Select RDS mode to install the RDSH role and/or the Desktop Experience role. After it is installed, the installer will prompt you to restart the system. After the system is restarted, launch the installer again to continue installing Horizon Agent in RDS mode.
- Install Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
If you do not install SP1 with Windows Server 2008 R2, an error occurs when you install Horizon Agent.
- On Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016 machines, configure the Windows Firewall service to restart after failures occur.
What to do next
Install Horizon Agent on the remote desktop services host. See Install Horizon Agent on a Remote Desktop Services Host.