Use Tanzu Mission Control to create backups of specified data resources in your cluster.
Using Tanzu Mission Control, you can back up an entire cluster or a subset of the data resources it contains. For more information, see Data Protection in VMware Tanzu Mission Control Concepts.
To perform a backup, you must first create a target location, as described in Create a Target Location for Data Protection and associate it with the cluster group that contains your cluster.
You must also prepare the cluster, as described in Enable Data Protection for a Cluster.
- To perform a backup, you must be associated with the cluster.admin role in the cluster.
- Log in to the Tanzu Mission Control console, and then navigate to the cluster detail page for the cluster that you want to back up.
- Click the Data Protection tab.
- On the Data Protection tab, under Backups, click the Create Backup button.
You can also initiate a backup by clicking the Create Backup link in the Data Protection box on the Overview tab of the cluster detail page.
- Specify the scope of the backup, and then click Next.
- the entire cluster
- selected namespaces
- resources identified by a label selector
- Choose a target location, and then click Next.
- Specify the schedule for the backup, and then click Next.
You can choose Now to queue the backup immediately upon completion of this workflow, or choose one of the recurring schedule formats and provide a targeted start time. You can also choose Custom, and provide a cron expression to specify the schedule for your backup.
- Specify how long to retain the backup, and then click Next.
You can specify any number of days, up to 365.
- Provide a name for the backup.
The name that you provide can consist of lowercase letters, numbers, and hyphens.
- Click Backup.
When you click Backup, Tanzu Mission Control schedules the process of backing up the resources you have specified, and then returns you to the cluster detail page, which shows you the status of the backup operation.