You can install or upgrade ESXi from a USB flash drive by using a script that specifies the installation or upgrade options.
Supported boot options are listed in Boot Options.
Before running the scripted installation or upgrade, verify that the following prerequisites are met:
- The system that you are installing or upgrading to ESXi meets the hardware requirements for the installation or upgrade. See ESXi Hardware Requirements.
- You have the ESXi installer ISO on a bootable USB flash drive. See Format a USB Flash Drive to Boot the ESXi Installation or Upgrade.
- The default installation or upgrade script (ks.cfg) or a custom installation or upgrade script is accessible to the system. See About Installation and Upgrade Scripts.
- You have selected a boot option to run the scripted installation, upgrade, or migration. See Enter Boot Options to Start an Installation or Upgrade Script.
- Boot the ESXi installer from the USB flash drive.
- When the ESXi installer window appears, press Shift+O to edit boot options.
- Type a boot option that calls the default installation or upgrade script or an installation or upgrade script file that you created.
The boot option has the form
- Press Enter.
The installation, upgrade, or migration runs, using the options that you specified.